Having a pet dog can be compared to having a baby in terms of the amount of love and care that you have to provide your furry friends with. People who love their pawsome friends often like to buy for them all kinds of stuff so that they can have a luxurious life. This includes everything ranging from dog chewing toys, essentials to take good care of their fur, and many more. Another such essential commodity that a dog-parent may find essential is a dog ramp. The importance of a dog ramp can never be underestimated. As your furry baby starts to grow old, you will realize that your dog needs a dog ramp to get up on the sofa, bed, car, or any other high place.
Mobility Issues In Dogs
If you are the parent to a senior dog, you have spent a considerable amount of time with your furry child. You have seen him grow old with time. As a dog grows old, his body witnesses a number of changes. Some dogs tend to lose their eyesight with time, while others acquire other health issues. However, one common problem that most senior canines face is mobility issues. As your dog starts aging, you will find him grow sluggish. His muscles and weak bones may not permit him to move around as actively as he used to when he was young. You may find him struggling to do things like, climbing up the bed. This may be an indication that you need to bring home a dog ramp for your pawsome buddy and ease his struggle a little.
Why Does A Dog Need Dog Ramp
You must be wondering why your dog needs a dog ramp. As a dog starts getting old, you will see him struggling with having to do simple tasks like getting on the car, sofa, or bed. You may not realize, but your dog may start to develop an ache in his joints, thereby making it difficult for him to jump on a tall couch. If your canine is stepping into his old-age, the best present that you can get for him is a dog ramp. This will not only make it easy for you to climb on couches and beds, but also help to avoid him from hurting himself from trying to make jumps that he used to be able to make. You will find him expressing his gratitude. His joint ache may be stopping him from climbing on the bed and couches, thereby stopping him from spending time with you. Once you get your canine friend a dog ramp, nothing will stand between you and him cuddling on the couch for a weekend movie night! Give your senior canine the best of what he deserves. All you have to do is choose the dog ramp, which offers the most convenient and you are good to go!
Table of Contents
Different Types Of Dog Ramps
There are mainly two kinds of dog ramps that are available in the market.
- The first category of dog ramps is the one that comes with a flat, regular surface. These ramps are easy to carry around and store. They can be kept at any corner of the bedroom or the living room and can be accessed almost any time. They are not at all hefty and do not require much maintenance. Your pet is going to love climbing up and down the couch or the bed using 1. ramps.
- The second category of ramps comes with stairs. Here, the ramps are styled in the form of stairs. This kind of dog ramp has dual functionality. They do not only help your pets with mobility but also serve as decorative pieces of furniture when they are left in one corner of the room.
Both these categories of dog ramps have their own benefits. You just need to choose the one which suits your requirements the best!
Why Get A Dog Ramp For The Bed?
It is not only the pet-parents, who have senior canines, who should consider buying a dog ramp. A dog ramp is equally important for those who own pets of tiny sizes. These dog ramps help to eliminate all the mobility issues that your pet might be facing.
Pet parents who have small pets should also consider buying dog ramps. This is because small pets often find it difficult to climb up on the couches and beds that are comparatively tall for him. Therefore, these dog ramps are important for them. They help to make it easy for your pet to climb and land. However, you need to make sure that you do not invest in a dog ramp, which is cheap. It is important to invest in a dog ramp, which is very sturdy, robust, durable, and can bear the bodyweight of your dog.
Why Get A Dog Ramp For The Car?
Whether you live in the city or just like to go to nice scenic areas for walks with your dog, it’s quite normal to drive to a nice park with your dog. This will usually involve your dog taking a ride in the back of your car, whether in a cage or with some other way of restraining them. The problem comes when you want your dog to get in and out of the back of the car.
As they get older, it gets more and more difficult for them to jump into the back, this is where a dog ramp can come in handy. Dog ramps for cars will tend to be designed to allow them to be stored securely in the back of your car and extend to provide a nice gentle slope for your dog to walk up or down, making the climb/descend much easier on their aging legs than jumping would. Don’t let your dogs golden years make you both miss out on those experiences you enjoyed when they were younger.
Why Get A Dog Ramp For The Sofa?
One past time that a lot of dog owners enjoy is curling up on the sofa and watching TV with their best friend. This is something that we love doing and we’re sure our dogs love it too. As they get older the jump up can become harder and harder. While with smaller breeds it may be possible to pick them up to lift them onto the sofa with you it may not be possible for larger breeds who weigh more. It would be a shame to miss out on this quality time because they’re not able to join you on the sofa.
As with the bed and car, jumping down from the sofa will put a large strain on the dog’s front legs. While it may not seem a long drop for us, compared with a dog it can be their body height. Jumping down from there may be something that they can easily do when they’re younger but as they start to get older the risks start mounting. By introducing a dog ramp it gives them a method of getting down from the sofa without putting that strain on their body.
Factors That Should Be Taken Into Consideration When Buying A Dog Ramp
There are a number of factors that need to be taken into consideration when you are buying a dog ramp for your furry friend. Stated below are some of the factors which will help you to make the right choice:
- It Should Be Sturdy: When a dog runs, it creates a weight load, which is multiple times of its own weight. Make sure you get yourself a dog ramp, which is sturdy enough to bear the weight of almost any dog.
- Pay Attention To The Surface: When you are buying a dog ramp, you need to check the material which the surface of the dog ramp is made up of. The surface should be made of a material that is non-slip and prevents your dog from slipping and falling over. Apart from that, companies should also avoid using coatings that are abrasive and can cause considerable damage to the laws of your dog over time.
- The Dog Ramp Should Have Dimensions Enough To Accommodate Even The Largest Dog: Some dogs are just bigger than others. Make sure that you pick a dog ramp that can accommodate the dog of the biggest size. Some dog ramps also come with railings that can prevent a dog from slipping off the edges of the ramp. It should also be long enough so that it can easily reach the height of the couch, bed, or vehicle.
- Your Dog Ramp Should Be Resistant To Weather: Some dog ramps may be prone to damage when exposed to rough and unfavorable weather conditions. Make sure that the dog ramp that you purchase is made of components that are not prone to any kind of damage. The walking surface should also be slip-resistant when wet.
- The Dog Ramp Should Be Easy To Handle: You need to make sure that the dog ramp that you are purchasing for your furry friend is easy to handle and portable.
- Assess The Overall Quality: Summing it up, before you purchase a dog ramp, check the durability, quality, and strength of the dog ramp thoroughly. It should be able to withstand rigorous use and should not show any signs of wear and tear for at least five years.
I hope this gives you a complete idea about the factors that you need to look into before you purchase a dog ramp for your senior dog.
Things To Consider When You Are Buying A Stair-Style Dog Ramp
If you are purchasing a dog ramp for bed which is shaped in the form of stairs, here are a few things that you might need to consider:
- Have a look at the size of the steps. They should not be very steep. Otherwise, the dog ramp will fail to serve its purpose of making mobility easy for your senior dog.
- The surface of the stairs should not be slippery. Your dog should be able to have a proper grip while he is climbing up and down the stairs of the ramp.
- The stairs should be sturdy enough to be able to bear the bodyweight of your dog. This will facilitate safe climbing and landing for your pet.
Things To Consider When You Are Buying A Flat-Style Dog Ramp
However, if you are thinking of picking up a Flat-Style dog ramp for the bed for your pet, here are some things that you need to consider:
- The dog ramp should be tall enough to reach the bed, couch, or any other piece of furniture.
- Opt for dog ramps that are lightweight and are easy to fold and store.
- This goes without saying- choose dog ramps whose surfaces are anti-slippery. A dog ramp should exactly do what it is supposed to do. It should make sure that it makes climbing easier for the dog, putting less strain on his poor joints.
It is important to make the right choice when it comes to purchasing something for your furry friend, especially when you realize that your senior canine’s days are now numbered. Choices may vary from person to person. Both these types of dog ramps for beds are equally useful. They can make climbing and landing easy for your pet. Therefore, choose the one which your dog will find convenient for himself. For instance, if your dog is old, it is a better idea to avoid stair-styled ramps. Both the ramps serve their purposes equally well!